Once all settings have been reviewed or changed, products must be added and the proper attributes are specified to start selling the products as software.
Plugins and themes are added to the License Server by creating them as WooCommerce Products. Go to your WordPress dashboard and click on ‘Products > Add New’ to create a new product. On the ‘Add new product’ page that will open up, type in the product details as you would for any WooCommerce product as follows:
1. Product title – This will be visible in your store for your customers to see the name of your plugin/theme.
2. Description / Product Short Description – Describe the product. The description will also be visible on your product page.
3. Under the ‘Product data’ section choose the type of product this is. Choose ‘Simple product’ if you will define one price for the software or choose ‘Variable product’ if you wish to offer multiple price points or license types.
4. Check the ‘Software License’ checkbox to specify that this product is software. This will reveal a new tab titled ‘License’ for you to add the software and licensing details.
5. Click on the ‘License’ tab to start filling in the details.
6. Fill in the license details. The available fields are as follows.
Fill in the normal product details to be shown on your shop page, in addition, you have to set the software attributes and downloadable software file like so:
The available fields are as follows:
|Software Type||required||The type of software product this is. Available options are WordPress Plugin, WordPress Theme, or Other, defaults to WordPress Plugin.|
|Allow Staging||required||Where licenses associated with this product will be allowed activation on staging sites or not. Yes, or No, defaults to Yes.|
|Software Slug||Required||The slug of the software. must be unique and similar to the slug generated from the product title.|
|Software Version||Required||The current version of the software. Updates will be checked against this version and must be changed each time an updated version of the software is uploaded.|
|Software Author||required||The name of the person or entity that developed the software.|
|Requires WP Version||Required||The minimum version of WordPress is required for the plugin/theme to function properly.|
|Compatible up to||Required||The maximum version of WordPress this plugin/theme is compatible with.|
|Last Updated||Required||The date on which the plugin/theme was last updated.|
|Activation Limit||Required||The number of times this plugin/theme can be activated on a live site.|
|Staging Activation Limit||Required||The number of times this plugin/theme can be activated on a staging site.|
|Documentation Link||Required||A link to the plugin/theme’s documentation|
|Description||Required||The description of the plugin/theme. This description will be returned in API requests for view on sites using this plugin/theme.|
|Changelog||Required||The software changelog. Show what has changed in each version of the plugin/theme|
|Installation||Required||Instructions on how to install the plugin/theme|
|Banner High||Required||High-resolution banner image for the plugin/theme.|
|Banner Low||Required||Low-Resolution banner image for the plugin/theme|
2. Set up downloadable files.
Now that your licensing is set up, you should also add files to be downloaded by customers after purchasing your products.
Here is how to do it,
First check the ‘Downloadable’ checkbox, labeled (1) in the screenshot above.
The ‘Downloadable files’ section will be revealed and you have to fill in the details as follows:
First, type the ‘Name’ of the file then add type the File URL or click ‘Choose file’ to browse to your media or to upload a new file. To add more downloads click on ‘Add file’ and repeat for as many downloads as you want to add. Here
- Name – The name of the downloaded file. This is the name that will be given to the file on the user’s downloads folder on their computer.
- File URL – The url to the downloadable file. WooCommerce will serve the download from this url, the license server will serve from this url for downloads and updates, so this must be accessible with proper read permissions for WooCommerce to download.
Download limit – If you want to limit the number of times the customer can download the files, specify the number in the ‘Download limit’ field. Please note that this will also limit updates, so if they reach the download limit and try to update the plugin/theme on their website, this limit will be in effect and the update will fail.
Download expiry – The download expiry limits the number of days the generated download link will be valid for.
Software License Type – Choose the license type for this product.
Software update file – Choose the file that will be used and served as the update file if you have multiple downloads for the same product. It is required that you save the product after adding downloadable files because we require the download_id string which is only generated when saving the product. When there are no downloadable products specified or the product is not saved with the downloadable files, then the ‘Software update file’ dropdown will be empty, and instead, you will see a description telling you to save the product first.